Saturday, June 1, 2013

DoaBH Review Edition: Asura's Wrath (PS360)


After all this time I finally saw this game through to the end and I will say this, I'm better for the experience for multiple reasons. The big one for me is that I finished a game for a change. Something that is a rarity for me now of days. There's still some things that need to be done to complete the trophy set and I'll gladly do it because for the first time in a long time I enjoyed gaming just for the sake there of. I haven't had a lot of moments this generation that'll stick with me but Asura's Wrath will be one of those I'll remember alongside games like No More Heroes & Bayonetta that I still remember and look back on fondly even now.

When it comes to reviewing this game is that I've said a lot about my feelings that you've already read and because that is such I'll repeat them because they need repeating. This is an awesome game in everything it provides. From the various gameplay styles which had me on my toes and even forced me to actually have a strategy and think it out and I haven't had to do that in quite a while to be honest. To the story which completely drew me in because of how good it was and how well it was presented in all facets. I will take the time to thank one Liam O'Brien once more because his portrayal of Asura made him believable as a character and in turn made me believe in him and plight as a character which drove me to see his quest to the very end. And if Miss Tara Strong is looking for her true voice I think she left it here. I didn't have a clue she was Durga until the first credit roll and I call myself a fan of hers. I have to say this game was well cast and equally well acted by everyone involved. Thank You all for your hard work and making this something I'll remember for a long time to come.

To confirm something I touched on when I talked about the game last year and even recently on The Cool is that if nothing else you want to purchase Part IV: Nirvana. I'd love to tell you why but just take my word on it. All the DLC adds something to the overall enjoyment of the game and if you do decide to buy it all you won't be sorry. If you're coming to it make sure to buy the DLC up front for the fact that the side episodes really enhance the main episode it branches from and playing them back to back with the previous episode fresh in your head really brings it together.

In the end we may never see another game like this again to be honest because of how it sold. As with anything that because people don't buy it doesn't mean it isn't any good. At the same time because of what kind of game Asura's Wrath is and the groups of gamers who may enjoy it is that it doesn't have that broad appeal that will bring others in on their own accord. On top of that it does have an old-school feel & mentality and does well to be a successor to games like Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Ninja Hayate, Time Gal and others in this current generation of games. It ultimately shows that even now these types of games can exist and be fun and enjoyable. I truly want more Asura's Wrath and games like it. CyberConnect2 with this game proves that there is a medium to tell these types of stories with established franchises and brand new ones as well. I really hope we haven't seen the last of these characters because Asura and some of his cast mates would make wonderful additions to the VS Series games and the game gives anybody who wants to make it happen with plenty of material to work with.

If you haven't played this game yet then you owe yourself a chance to do just that. I do my best when I review not to take too much away from the experience you can have so as usual you'll just have to trust my words when it comes to this. Asura's Wrath was an awesome experience, one that I will cherish for years to come and I really hope you give yourself the opportunity to do the same.

Now that I've shown myself that I can see a game to the end is that I have a massive backlog to see to and when I knock one down you'll hear about it. Like I've said before is that there are 2 games that haunt my backlog and I know that finishing Asura's Wrath means that they can be finished too and I will see those to the end with this new but old vigor for just enjoying games for what they are and pure experience they bring and nothing more. Thank You Asura's Wrath for the gift you given me. I appreciate it deeply and I will treasure it and use it with all my might!

-BACKLOG, HERE COMES TRIPLE DA G.O.D!!!!! I SWEAR TO SHOW NO MERCY!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment