Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Skullgirls Started From The Bottom Now We Here Voting

It started just as a quest to finish Squigly. Then the panties started dropping when Big Band became a reality. And now "WE THE PEOPLE," at least those who contributed will now decide the fate of the 3rd DLC character in a vote that may or may not end all votes. At the time of this writing it isn't too late for you to be a part of this vote.

All you need is to donate a McDouble to the IndieGoGo Campaign and you too can be a part of this. At this juncture you might be wondering what are your choices are. Glad you asked. All of the characters available for the vote and their conceptual basis can be viewed HERE and with said information you can make an informed choice about who you want.

A reminder though, just as it says on the page anything you see about a character is subject to change so keep that in mind as well as you choose your champion so to speak.

When it came to me and how I wanted to vote I was a bit stuck because I want to choose cool characters and designs but at the same time I want to choose characters that will make Skullgirls a better game than it is now.

So what started as a reply on NeoGAF turned into this blog post because all my thoughts would be better suited for this medium than that one. Take none of the following as gospel because I know as much as you do at this point wishing I knew a lot more. These are my opinions and you're free to interpret them however you wish to do so.

And reminder, give that buck before the due date so you can vote too. Time to play some Theory Fighter: Skullgirls 3rd DLC Character Edition!!

Umbrella is Umbrella. She is Turn Punch the character turned up to 11. But I don't know if this is the game that she needs to be in or just wait for the sequel where we know she'll turn up. When I first heard of Hungern I was reminded of a reverse Labrys but that may be me just reaching a bit. Like I said though regardless of how it goes down we'll be seeing her real soon.

Marie should just be in the game for the sake thereof. Super toned down version or of herself should cover that. I don't even see why she's in the running from the "She's in the game already" standpoint but from the "It costs money" standpoint I do.

Black Dahlia is another one that runs right down my block. Cable from a distance and some Genjuro rekkas up close. Too nasty. I'd find a way to build a team around her given the gameplay concepts used to describe her. Don't know if she'll make it but she could get my vote early on.


 

If you didn't know is that Mrs. Victoria and D. Violet are one in the same. Mrs. Victoria is the homage to the many teachers and mentors found in fighters and from what I've seen and read from her concept she'd be more in line Hideo & Kyoko from Rival Schools with some cool stuff thrown in.

D. Violet however takes teacher to Naughtyville as this is her super hero alter ego with a whip and the dominatrix demeanor. Reminds me a lot of Bayonetta and Mistress Spencer from Rumble Roses which are both mentioned in her references.

The reason I put these two together is because a cool thing would be if they could switch between these two. Similar to Ryu and Sakura in the VS series and Kazuya Mishima & Devil in Tekken Tag Tournament. A far fetched suggestion yes but I figured it was worth the mention. I'm torn on who I'd vote for if given the choice but I have a feeling I won't have to.

 

Annie was a character that was mentioned to me during my earlier indecisiveness phase and after looking her over I could support this and for 2 reasons. The first being that her playstyle could resemble Mito's from The Rumble Fish 2 and the possibility for a Kamen Rider Meteor reference happening would be sick. I could hedge my bets on her possibility taking it all in the vote. How I stand on it is TBD.


If anybody is getting my vote in the early going it would be the SCIENCE SHARK, STANLEY! Excusing the fact that he is a shark that his possibilities for gameplay styles are so awesome how could you not vote for this. +1 STANLEY!! And take the time to watch the video below and let Stanley explain to you how much it costs to put this game together.


 

Based off what I've read she would be a Painwheel lite with more of a pinpoint on her ability to fly and it being her offensive tool to do things that Painwheel wishes she could with her flight abilities. I could see them on a team together if she makes makes it on the roster. Could be awesome.


Leduc is another character I could see myself backing for the simple fact given what his possible playstyle could be would be great for team building. This is one of those votes that would cover not only cool concept but great for the betterment of the game. When it comes to voting time we'll see where the chips land.


Ileum is a character who I'm not really sure about given the information. All that I can really gather is that she'd be one hell of a zone threat. I'd really need to see her in motion to truly be sold on the idea but it is rather fascinating for the record let me say.


If Brain Drain made it in it would be one hell of an undertaking making his listed possibilities work. Those possibilities seem really cool and if I could be convinced I'd vote for him. 

Also, looking at those concepts remind me of some characters not mentioned in his inspiration. Those being Rugal's original concept for KoF '94 and Onslaught's 1st Form from MvC1 where he can make clones of your characters and such.


From reading Andy's info he reminds me a lot of Chang & Choi from CvS2 even though it wasn't mentioned in his inspirations and given that he's from Peacock's twisted mind some Cracker Jack from Street Fighter EX to take some notes from wouldn't hurt either. I like it. Voting for it is a different story.


I could get behind Feng seeing as she's a lot like Bang in concept. And her other inspirations really sell me on Feng as a fighter. I could see myself playing as her when she comes but voting for it now is a wait and see thing.


If another character on the vote had me at go Taliesin would be another one. I'm just feeling his everything right now and he'd be a welcome edition to the roster ASAP! High risk, high reward it would seem like.


Does this game need more grapplers? Maybe. I'm #TeamCerebella to the death but that doesn't mean I'm not open to another grappler on the roster. Hubrecht is described as a fun loving character a bit over his head and seems to have thing for kind of cosplaying Heart from Arcana Heart. 

Having a character like him would diversify the cast but I don't know if I can vote for this right now.

Regardless, shouts to Donvalve from BattleFantasia & Bravo from Chaos Code who may or may not have had some inspiration for him but I'll mention them both anyway.


I read Regina's stuff and all I thought of was two things when it came to how her strikers would work. It would be very similar to how Zero from KoF 2001 does it and this could've been how Fluttershy would've been in Fighting is Magic.

I too see the Janne from World Heroes in her as well.


Beatrix is one of my I might vote for this at the time of this post. I'm very sold on how she'd play in concept and it seems like it could work without too much fuss. For me at this point she's just like Leduc in that she would work wonders for the game's betterment because of how her gameplay style would allegedly be.


Reading Ottomo's info really sells me on the character seeing as not only would this be super hype but he's technically a shout out to the Arquillians from Men in Black which I didn't see as an character inspiration. I'd could see myself voting for this possibly.


I like a character that can take some inspiration from A.B.A and be a cool character based around that. Not sure I could vote for her right now but the possibility in seeing her in a future game is a real cool prospect.


Yu-Wan is another character I could see myself backing just on the strength of what he could bring to the cast as a playable character right now. Some good rushdown and more cast diversity. He also reminds me a lot of Han from JoJo's as well. Another one who will be a gametime decision on how I vote.

If you're still on the fence then maybe the hard knock tale of Yu-Wan as told by Sarah Williams (Voice of Peacock) may have you full of the feels afterwards or at least dying of laughter. Either or.



Minette could possibility get my vote on OG Hype alone. She was one of the characters pretty early who had a lot of hype surrounding her and who I have a fondness for because of such. They should just make her a part of the cast now regardless of how the vote comes out. I was a bit surprised not to see Coyori from BattleFantasia not play some role in how she might possibly play but if she has anything resembling a rekka chain then I'm so in.


From reading Beowulf's info I could be voting for him. I'm really interested in how he's going to use that steel chair when it all comes down to it. If he has something like King's multi-part throws or he can do a Shining Wizard with the chair then I'd vote for him and not regret the choice. Here's hoping some influence from Ramon and Angel from KoF find their way here as well and if anything he'll have some influence of Exodus from Fighting Layer in there!


I wasn't really sold on Scythana before but after reading her info again I surely am now. Her concept is too much good not to consider.

Special shoutout to Wolf Girl Jo from Ehrgeiz.


Roxie is a character I want to support for a lot reasons. Mainly her design and gameplay style. She gets the double minority vote and on top of that her gameplay seems really cool. Being able to construct weapons during fights will make her really diverse during battle. She's like Heavy Barrel the character in a fighting game. What would make her better is if she had something akin to Phoenix searching for evidence to help in building better machines and a cool way to power it up via a meter of some sort. This may be the reason I vote for her in the end.


Panzerfaust, the other half of the OG Vote Alliance. He was another character had had a lot of hype early on and I'm willing to consider voting for him just like Minette based off this alone. He does bring something cool to the table with how he'd possibly play so if I did use that for consideration it wouldn't be a wasted vote.


Adam & the 2 other soldiers are pretty much Saibamen. I accept this and think it'd be a cool concept. Knowing that he'd differ greatly from those that come before him really makes him a great character to think about conceptually.

Also hearing about his reload mechanics is I'm forced to name drop Anonym from Akatsuki Blitzkampf, Petra from Arcana Heart and Sion/Eltnum from Melty Blood/Under Night In-Birth. As of now he's on my long list of considerations for that vote.


If you want to win my vote then design a character that invokes the hell out of my love for one Fiolina Germi. When it does come to Molly two possibilities have be considered for the possible final product. Either she'll be fighting with or without the Graham-O-Tron at all times. For my money without seems better because she can always have the option to board it, summon it or control it during battle. Similar to Fio (MI2/Regulation A) and Marco & Cyber Woo (NGBC). Also the possibility to have passive abilities while not being on point seems really interesting in seeing how it would actually work in game.


I can definitely get behind something new in my fighters and Issac seems to be it. His time travel concept seems really fun but the question seems to be can it have practical application in battle? In the meantime the below video has one Mike Z explaining how the concept would work.




As cool as Venus is conceptually I don't know if she should be a playable character right now. Everything about her screams boss way too much and not playable fighter enough at this point in time. Looking at her inspirations I wonder if her size in reality is similar to VS series bosses/Giant Akiha & Dust of Osiris from Melty Blood? Wait and see I guess.


Aeon just like Venus above her is another character who screams boss and not really sure if I can vote for her. Just like Venus, conceptually awesome with her being some kind of Omega Ten Shin Uber Double if I want to describe what I'm reading. Again really liking her conceptually but not sure if I can use one my choices for her though. I'll wait for her to be a hidden boss in the sequel. If nothing else having a mode where you play as her would be great way to add her to the cast and have room for another character not as Ivan Ooze Omega Rugal Sissy as she is.


Evil Samson I guess I could call him. And I like it. He gives off the What-if character vibe and from what I've read could be really awesome. I wonder if he does make it could you select him & Filia on the same team and if you could how would that work? I could reference again Kazuya & Devil from Tekken Tag for how it could best work. This is something I could see myself voting for.

And with that I covered all the characters that will be up on the voting block when it begins. I really enjoyed the chance to do something like this for the simple reason of how much I care about the game and how I choose now can affect how the game will end up in the near future. The reminder once more is if you have $1 and you want to help shape this game then please donate so you can do just that. 

Thanks to everyone who donated and made the crowdfunding project a rousing success! And thanks to all the wonderful folks who are involved with Skullgirls however you are so! Thanks for standing by the game even when it didn't seem like a good idea!

SKULLGIRLS STARTED FROM THE BOTTOM NOW WE HERE!!!

-Triple Da G.O.D

7 Days Later...

Look at us a week later and Day 2 of deliberations have begun and I need to update this a bit seeing how much things have changed. Skullgirls broke the damn bank at the end with $829,829 for the IndieGoGo campaign which is beyond awesome which means "WE THE PEOPLE" shall be rewarded with a whole lot of extras for the game including a 2nd DLC Character Vote after this one is over. So if your favorite doesn't make it this go around they'll have a 2nd chance and the guarantee that Juju will be there to be voted on if they hash it all out. And if they do I so shall weigh in on her as well. If you still wish to give Lab Zero more of your money (You really should do this by the way.) and grab one of the IndieGoGo perks you can do so by sending an e-Mail to operations @ labzerogames .com and let them know what you want and any additional information they may need to get that perk to you.

Also kicking off the voting process is more proposed character mechanics for characters up for the vote including a cleaned up version of Issac's mechanics. I'll add them below to not alter the history of the original post and I'm too lazy to mess with the editing already above.



Feng



Scythana



Issac



Molly



Eliza

Hopefully those videos not only help you but me as well make an informed decision about how to best use votes to make a better game even better.

I'll be updating this post as need be for anything additional such as character mechanics videos and how I voted each week because I know the world would love to hear about that.

So to knock this week down I guess I can say I'm extra hyped because on 4/1 3 new Skullgirls characters were announced. Zone-tan and Love & Berry.

You can read all about and even download concepts of Zone-tan from Zone's blog post about it HERE!

Straight from the Mechafetus blog the interview with Love & Berry about being the newest members of the cast also featuring Ravidrath, Alex & Mike Z. You'd find this wonderful interview HERE!

For the record both articles are April Fool jokes but the Zone-tan one is very well done and I gladly show my support for the one that wishes that we all could fap in perfect harmony. All hail BASED ZONE-TAN?...!!!! Like they should really have Zone-tan as a crossover character because she can fill a void in the roster with the proposed playstyle. It may come to be one day. Stranger things have occurred.



I'll see everyone next week for the beginning of Round 2.

Until then please vote wisely and responsibly!

No comments:

Post a Comment